Thursday, May 04, 2006

The NASL in Maps



In the year that I've been blogging about American soccer, I haven't posted anything about the NASL. That's probably because I was born in 1982. But after the fun I had doing yesterday's map, I thought it would be cool to take a look back at the NASL and how it changed from year to year. No other major American league has ever had nearly as many franchises expanding, moving and folding all at once, and you can see it all on the maps below.

For information on the year to year struggles/successes of the league, I highly recommend reading the American Soccer History Archives.

I also think it would really cool to have an animated map, where you can see the changes happen right in front of your eyes. You could have each one happen only for a few seconds. I tried uploading my photos to flickr, so you can also check it out in slideshow form, which sort of accomplishes that (it might work better without all the team names in the way). I'll have to work on making sure every photo is from the same spot, so it looks better from picture to picture. Once I get a little more familiar with Google Earth I'm sure I can handle that. I'd also like to do this for all other major leagues. Who knows, it would be cool to do for the Premiership, and all the big leagues in Europe. Lots of potential here. If anyone's done something like this before, please let me know before I waste my time.

And we begin:


1968: Two leagues, the NPSL and the USA started up a year earlier, and merged to form the NASL.




1969: Barely survived.




1970




1971




1972




1973




1974: Western expansion.




1975: The year Pele joined the Cosmos.




1976




1977




1978: 24 teams, the peak.




1979-80: The only time every team stayed in the same city for consecutive years. Toronto became the Blizzard, but I forgot to change it until the next map. Also, Atlanta is there, just hard to see.




1981: You can see the decline start to happen, and it only gets worse.




1982




1983




1984: The final year, down to only 9 teams.

Comments on "The NASL in Maps"

 

Blogger kj said ... (11:42 AM, May 04, 2006) : 

Interesting maps, thanks for the work. Though, both the Kicks and the Strikers were labelled as "Minnesota," not Minneapolis.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:04 PM, May 04, 2006) : 

Wasn't there a Team Hawaii in 1977?

http://home.att.net/~nasl/logos.htm

 

Blogger scaryice said ... (3:59 PM, May 04, 2006) : 

Yes, there was a Team Hawaii. Just couldn't fit it on the map.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:36 PM, May 04, 2006) : 

You could even do a 1985... as acoulod of those nine stuck around and just played some exhibition games and such before finally closing the doors.

btw, Team Hawaii, is ultimatelty unimportant. Except when people want to talk about the 'brief' history of pro sports in the state.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:10 PM, May 05, 2006) : 

that makes Brian Ching sad

 

Blogger minijonb said ... (6:45 PM, May 09, 2006) : 

that is the most amazing tribute to the NASL evah!

as a kid, i saw the Cosmos play the Aztecs in the late 70's in front of a mostly full Rose Bowl. strange days.

 

Blogger scaryice said ... (5:05 PM, August 22, 2006) : 

Animation:

http://www.skype-directory.com/media/mp3/nasl.gif

(thanks to jade1mls)

 

Anonymous pay per head service said ... (3:42 PM, January 26, 2013) : 

it is quite interesting to check it out from a different perspective to see how it has changed in several years.

 

post a comment