|These are the largest crowds I've been able to find for soccer games in each state and Washington DC. I have a list of the teams involved, but I thought it would be too cluttered.
If you know of any attendance figures higher than these, please let me know. I didn't put anything for the bottom three states because I couldn't find any crowds over 1,000.
Thanks to many people from this thread on Bigsoccer.
|California ||101,799 ||Olympics ||1984-08-11 |
|Georgia ||86,117 ||Olympics ||1996-08-03 |
|Alabama ||83,810 ||Olympics ||1996-07-20 |
|Texas ||82,252 ||Gold Cup ||2009-07-19 |
||Gold Cup ||
|New Jersey ||79,156 ||Gold Cup ||2009-07-26 |
|Michigan ||77,217 ||World Cup ||1994-06-28 |
|Pennsylvania ||68,396 ||Friendly ||2003-08-03 |
|Massachusetts ||67,584 ||Friendly ||2007-09-12 |
|Washington ||67,052 ||Friendly ||2011-07-20 |
|Illinois ||65,080 ||W.World Cup ||1999-06-24 |
||W.World Cup ||1999-06-24 |
|Arizona ||64,462 ||Friendly ||2007-02-03 |
|North Carolina ||63,227 ||Friendly ||2010-03-24 |
|Colorado ||61,202 ||MLS ||2002-07-04 |
|D.C. ||58,012 ||Olympics ||1996-07-24 |
|Minnesota ||52,621 ||NASL ||1984-05-28 |
|Missouri ||52,424 ||Friendly ||2010-07-25 |
|New York ||46,000 ||Friendly ||1926-05-01 |
|Utah ||45,511 ||Friendly ||2006-08-12 |
|Connecticut ||44,579 ||US Cup ||1993-06-06 |
|Oregon ||35,528 ||NASL ||1977-08-28 |
|Kentucky ||35,211 ||W.Friendly ||1999-10-10 |
|Ohio ||31,550 ||MLS ||1996-09-15 |
|Oklahoma ||30,831 ||NASL ||1980-04-26 |
|Tennessee ||27,958 ||WC Qualifying ||2009-04-01 |
|Hawaii ||23,087 ||Pan Pacific ||2008-02-23 |
||Pan Pacific ||
|Virginia ||21,319 ||College ||1995-12-10 |
|New Mexico ||17,805 ||W.Friendly ||2004-05-09 |
|Louisiana ||15,074 ||W.Friendly ||2003-07-13 |
|Indiana ||14,000 ||P.A. Games ||1987-08-21 |
|Rhode Island ||13,000 ||Open Cup ||1918-05-04 |
|Wisconsin ||12,572 ||Friendly ||1990-07-28 |
|Nevada ||9,736 ||CCC ||1999-10-03 |
||CCC ||1999-10-03 |
|Iowa ||6,612 ||PDL ||2004-06-04 |
|South Carolina ||6,456 ||Open Cup ||1999-08-04 |
|Mississippi ||6,200 ||Friendly ||2004-03-27 |
|Nebraska ||5,812 ||College ||2007-09-08 |
|Vermont ||5,000 ||College ||1989-??-?? |
|Maine ||4,254 ||Friendly ||2001-10-20 |
|Delaware ||3,500 ||USISL ||1994-??-?? |
|New Hampshire ||3,000 ||PDL ||2008-06-19 |
||3,000 ||PDL ||2008-06-26 |
|West Virginia ||3,000 ||W.College ||2007-11-30 |
|South Dakota ||1,811 ||PDL ||2006-05-20 |
|Arkansas ||1,487 ||W.College ||2005-10-07 |
|Montana ||1,100 ||W.College ||1999-??-?? |
|Idaho ||1,059 ||W.College ||2005-08-28 |
|Alaska ||??? ||
|North Dakota ||??? ||
|Wyoming ||??? ||
- 7/19/2009 - Gold Cup doubleheader (Costa Rica vs Guadeloupe, Mexico vs Haiti) in Arlington, Texas draws 82,252 fans. It's the grand opening of the new Dallas Cowboys stadium, and it beats the old Texas record by over 10k. The previous record was 70,550 for Barcelona vs America and Houston vs Los Angeles in Houston on 8/9/2006.
- 7/24/2009 - Baltimore friendly between AC Milan and Chelsea draws 71,203 to the Ravens' stadium, and smashes the old Maryland mark of 54,462. That one was set during the Women's World Cup in 1999, when the US women beat Germany in the quarterfinals.
- 7/25/2009 - New Kansas record as David Beckham comes into town. Previous mark (10,385) was set in the 2008 home opener for the Wizards.
- 7/26/2009 - These things are falling like crazy! Three new records in three days. Gold Cup final sets a new New Jersey record. 151 more fans than the 2003 Man Utd vs Juventus friendly, which was Tim Howard's debut.
- 8/6/2009 - The record breaking summer continues. The Seattle-Barcelona friendly drew 18 more fans than the DC-Barcelona friendly three years ago to set a new Washington state record.
- 8/9/2009 - Well, that didn't last long. The Maryland record set 16 days ago has fallen. DC vs Real Madrid draws over a thousand more fans than Chelsea vs Milan. FedEx Field has more seats than M&T Bank Stadium, so that's your difference. Apparently FedEx can hold upwards of 90,000, so there's room for this one to be broken again.
- 8/9/2009 - I've also updated the New Hampshire record. Looking at some the New Hampshire Phantom attendances, they seemed to have drawn pretty well. There's two games a week apart that were listed at 3,000 fans; I've only listed the first one. I don't know how exact their numbers are, since almost every figure for their games is a perfectly even number. I wonder how they got those big crowds? Last year, they had many crowds in the high 2,000's, whereas this year the opener had 2,500 but the rest are in the hundreds.
- 3/24/2010 - Smashed. That's all you can say about the North Carolina record. Mexico's friendly with Iceland more than tripled the previous mark, which was the ASL final from 1981.
- 7/25/2010 - The Kansas City Wizards hosted their highest profile friendly ever, against Manchester United. The result saw the previous record of 37,591 fans (for the USA-Costa Rica WCQ in 2001) beaten by over 15,000. Man Utd now are a part of two state records, this and Pennsylvania (vs Barcelona).
- 6/9/2011 - New Kansas record for the opening of Livestrong Sporting Park, KC vs CHI: 19,925.
- 6/14/2011 - Well, that didn't last long: the Gold Cup doubleheader (Canada vs Panama, USA vs Guadeloupe) set a new Kansas record at the same stadium: 20,109.
- 7/30/2011 - A new Maryland record as 81,708 watch Man Utd and Barcelona in Landover at FedEx Field. MD jumps up two spots and now has the 5th highest record of any state.
- 8/3/2011 - The summer friendly season has claimed another state. This time it's Florida, which gets 70,080 in Miami for Barcelona and Guadalajara. That breaks the record set in the 1994 World Cup, 62,387 for Belgium vs Netherlands in Orlando.
- 8/9/2011 - Whoops, I missed updating the Washington record, which was broken by Man Utd vs Seattle. The total of 67,052 beats the Seattle-Barca friendly from two years ago by 204 fans.
Labels: attendance figures, state records