Saturday, October 01, 2005

The BASAs are coming



Introduction

About time for an update on this. The Blogosphere American Soccer Awards are about to be voted on, and I have some more info and clarifications:


1. The rules I set up are good, but I'm going to include only blogs that deal with MLS on a regular basis, not all that deal with American soccer. Since these are MLS awards, that seems like a good policy.

2. I am collecting the email addresses of my blogroll, and I will email those bloggers right after the final regular season game ends (Metrostars-Chivas USA, Sunday 10/16). They will name their top three choices for the following awards:

Coach of the Year
Rookie of the Year
Goalkeeper of the Year
Defender of the Year
Midfielder of the Year
Forward of the Year
Young Player of the Year (see below)
Player of the Year (top 5 choices)

Each blogger will also name a Best XI, with whatever formation they want (real ones only, please).

Points will be tallied to determine the winners. I'm probably going to do a 3-2-1 scoring system. I could do the baseball system of 5-3-1. Undecided about that.

3. Young player of the year. They always do this for the Premiership, and I thought it would be interesting to do for MLS. It is for the best U23 player. I think in the EPL, as long as you're U23 at the beginning of the season, then you're eligible. What I'm going to do is use a cutoff point. In baseball, the universal cutoff date is July 1. Whatever age you are on that date is the age you count as for the entire season. I think that's a good date for MLS as well, about halfway through. So the eligible MLS players for this award are all born after 7/1/82 (list).

4. If there are any other blogs I should be including, or any other suggestions you have, now's the time to let me know. Either comment here, or email me (scaryice@gmail.com). This should be a lot of fun, and I'm looking forward to it!

Comments on "The BASAs are coming"

 

Blogger scaryice said ... (3:43 PM, October 03, 2005) : 

I like using the middle of the season as a cutoff date. This way, you have to be under that age for at least half the season, rather than only a couple days.

 

post a comment