Thursday, August 10, 2006

State Records?

We learned tonight that a new Texas soccer record was set at the doubleheader in Houston. A total of 70,550 fans were in attendance to watch Houston vs Los Angeles and Club America vs Barcelona. I believe that the American record is 101,799 for the 1984 Olympic final at the Rose Bowl in Pasadena (France 2:0 Brazil).

So we know two "state records" for soccer attendance. What I would like to do now is to find out what the record is for each state. It's always fun to sort and rank all things American by state, and this should be no exception (see my post about which states have hosted US national team games).

Any knowledge from those of you in out of the way places would be greatly appreciated (Alaska anyone?). I should note that I'm not bothering with anything under 1,000.

Comments on "State Records?"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:44 AM, August 10, 2006) : 

I know DC isn't a state (personally I'd rather ditch federal taxes instead of having Senators), but the largest soccer crowd for the District is 58,012 at RFK Stadium for USA-Portugal during the 1996 Olympics.

Kasey Keller had a brilliant match to save a 1-1 draw for the US.

As a side note, I believe that match is the largest crowd for a sporting event at RFK, including the Redskins. RFK is bursting at the seams over 57k.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:42 AM, August 10, 2006) : 

Yeah, it's a record for last night's game.. So was the traffic jam leaving the stadium.

Only about 500 fewer people on record than the Super Bowl there when Janet flashed her boob.

 

Blogger scaryice said ... (6:06 PM, August 10, 2006) : 

Thanks for the tip on RFK. Here's the Bigsoccer thread where I'm detailing my progress:

http://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=392785

 

post a comment