Tuesday, November 13, 2007

What's a Beaver Trick?

That's the question I asked myself when I came across the term on Bigsoccer the other day. All sports fans know that three goals, regardless of the sport, is called a hat trick. Hardcore soccer fans know the term brace as well, which refers to scoring two goals. That's common knowledge to readers of this blog. But in years of following soccer, reading countless articles and posting thousands of messages online, I had never heard of the term beaver trick before.

It turns out that a beaver trick refers to scoring four goals in a match. This came up in a message talking about the Caribbean club championship taking place, which also qualifies their representative to the CONCACAF Champions Cup for next year (the Colin Clarke-led Puerto Rico Islanders have reached the semifinals). If you do a search on Google, "beaver trick" only yields 618 results, so it's not widespread. Looking more closely, this appears to be a Caribbean term. The first results all come from sources in Trinidad & Tobago, but going deeper shows other countries from the region using the term too, especially Barbados. It was also used on the CONCACAF web site back in June 2000.

What's fascinating is that this isn't just a soccer term. It's also used here to describe cricket ("he went on to take a 4th wicket in a row (called a Beaver Trick)," here in a non-goal scoring context ("
beaver trick of titles for Simpson"), and lastly here on a site for petroleum engineers ("The burning question is can they make it a beaver trick, four in a row?"). It appears that four of anything can be a beaver trick.

This is a phrase that simply can't be ignored any longer. It sounds much better than quartet, and it's hip and fresh. I can picture the Sportscenter guys eating it up (Steps up and finds Moss yet again, Tom Brady with a ~BEAVER TRICK of TD passes. Pats up by 20...). And despite the fact that I have no clue as to its origins, it already makes as much sense as can of corn, flea flicker, nutmeg, and many other of our commonly used sports phrases. From now on, remember that four goals = beaver trick. Spread the word.

Labels:

Comments on "What's a Beaver Trick?"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:42 AM, November 13, 2007) : 

I'm pretty sure I saw a beaver trick at this bachelor party I went to once.

 

Blogger Eric PZ said ... (10:59 AM, November 13, 2007) : 

I'm sure I'll have forgotten I'd read this by the time I see another one....heck, I'm sure I'll have forgotten a lot more than just this by then.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:09 PM, November 13, 2007) : 

I'll remember. I'll spread the word.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:22 PM, November 16, 2007) : 

What if you score five in one match? Is it a Cleetus Trick?

 

Anonymous price per head said ... (3:20 PM, January 26, 2013) : 

Also for me. It is the first time that I heard about it. It sounds pretty interesting and it is quite uncommon.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (1:58 PM, March 12, 2021) : 

I want a beaver trick of girls. lol, good info by the way !

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (4:10 PM, May 05, 2021) : 

My dad told me about it when I was little so I grew up knowing about it.We're actually both from Trinidad so I guess thats how he knew.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (1:46 PM, February 03, 2022) : 

Jason Holder took a beaver trick in the last match against England. I was surprised that the commentators did not use that term at all.

 

post a comment